I couldn’t have conceived of a better culinary project for girls’ weekend than making croissants. I’ve been wanting to try these for years, and now that I’ve made them I’ve learned several important lessons:
1. You need a LOT of counter space
2. You definitely need a ruler
3. If you have a giant dog, crate him up
4. These are literally one of the best things you’ll ever make, but they require both time and patience
5. To follow up on that point– The depiction of Merrill Streep and Steve Martin making these in It’s Complicated is inaccurate, but they WILL make people fall in love with you.
My BFF Sue the sous chef, and her momma, and the great Dane, made these and ate almost every last crumb. There was definitely BLT ingredients involved for them, and pimento cheese, for moi. There was also chocolate in some of these bad boys.
The recipe (with helpful origami-style illustrations) came from the always amazing Cook’s Illustrated.
I will probably never eat a mass-produced croissant again.
There’s Hemingway in the background